Monday 8 February 2016

Happy New Year

It's the Chinese New Year today. Yay!

For over five decades, I have been blissfully ignorant of the fact, so you may be wondering, dear long-suffering reader, what has changed this year?

Well, it's funny you should ask...

The other week, I was at a customer's house, and all was going along normally, or at least normally for these parts: there was a fault which needed rectification; a solution was effected in an efficient and damp manner (it was raining); customer approved of repair; customer provided tea and cake. You can see why I like my job.

There was some other stuff with an invoice and a receipt but, let's face it, the tea and cake were the important part of the transaction.

However, in a change to the advertised routine, upon leaving the premises, I was given a fridge magnet. My quizzical look (yeah, ok, I always look like that) prompted the customer to explain that it was soon to be the Chinese New Year and, in 2016, it would be the Year of the Monkey. 

As I've subsequently discovered, the Year of the Red Fire Monkey, to be precise.

My fridge magnet isn't red.

Neither is it on fire, which is probably a good thing for a fridge magnet.

But it does look rather...


uncertain?

So does this mean that in 2016, I'll be mainly not setting fire to things but going "Ummm..." instead?

4 comments:

Katie (Nature ID) said...

When I reread A Girl of the Limberlost, I was most intrigued by her lunch pails. My museum volunteers laughed and commented my heart truly lied in the food, not moths.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Apparently, there are many ways to a lady's heart. Food is certainly one of them.

As part of the drive to cut down on single use plastic, I have stopped using clingfilm and sandwich bags for my lunches. However, I have not yet been tempted to resort to a bucket!

Spadger said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Imperfect and Tense said...

Exactly!