Sunday 22 August 2010

Love on the rocks

There's been much discussion at Tense Towers recently, regarding the subject of photography. What works, what doesn't, how is parameter A affected by parameter B, et cetera, et cetera.

I will admit straight away that as a young Tense-let, back in Mr Musgrave's Physics lessons in the mid 70s, I realised that photography was not a discipline in  which I was ever going to excel. A small cardboard box, a pinhole and a sheet of greaseproof paper was, and is, about my limit of understanding.

Be that as it may, I've occasionally pitched into the conversations about F stops, apertures, exposures and white balance like a complete duffer, because let's face it, it's all just magic involving a tiny imp and a painting set, isn't it? Oh... sorry, no, that's Discworld. My mistake.

The discussions have spread to the Admiral and the Prints of Wales, as there's a wealth of knowledge out there. It's just that I think, genetically, I'm a point and click kind of guy, and always will be. Our lass, on the other hand, has a set of chromosomes of a different colour, which gives her the talent for spotting a good picture.

However, it's possible that she may have misunderstood some comments regarding length of exposure...


Yep, that's her with her new friend Nik.

Changing tack a bit, I'm happy to report that there's a few more darter dragonflies about at the moment. Whilst down at our local reserve, I managed to capture this male Ruddy Darter, soaking up the heat from the morning sun.


Meanwhile, back at Tense Towers, our lunchtime snack was interrupted by a flurry of activity beside the pond. Several Common Darters appeared, males trying to hold territory and females looking for a bit of peace and quiet. Fat chance. The result being... love on the rocks.

1 comment:

Spadger said...

Ain't no surprise, ............