A few days ago, I mentioned that I was having a go at dismantling a pallet for the first time, despite being allergic to all things DIY. This drastic action was precipitated by Our Lass's requirement for a potting bench, so that she can make best use of any seeds/seedlings/cuttings that come her way.
In all, I had to blitz three pallets which, happily, gave me the opportunity to revise my opinion of the Tense tool-of-choice for this task. Pallets two and three came apart much easier following the tactical substitution of the garden spade for a brick bolster chisel. Much care and effort were still required if the end result wasn't to resemble a pile of splinters, but damage to pallet and Yours Truly was at least reduced to tolerable levels.
The two largest pallets were re-used as the upper and lower frames, the four legs and work surface, with a smaller pallet donating the lower shelf. Wood screws from my Lifetime of Spare Fixings collection were used to fasten all the parts together, though how someone as hapless at DIY as myself could be in possession of so many fixings is a bit of a mystery.
As upcycling projects go, I think this was a success. Our Lass is certainly pleased (it could just be shock that I've constructed something without a visit to hospital). I guess the message here is that if I can do it, then just about anyone can.
It's always good to learn new skills and gain experience. For instance, I didn't realise that three pallets were held together by this many nails.
There are also a few intact rails remaining for the next project that gallops over the horizon, as well as a small box of kindling which may end up as a present for some unsuspecting wood-burning stove owner.
But, finally, here it is, the OTT upcycled potting bench...
I made this!