Thursday 1 March 2012

The Ogress of Progress, Part 3

It's been a while since our headlong acceleration into The New has inspired my ire (see also Part 1 and Part 2). However, Blogger's use of CAPTCHA word verification has been an unpleasant reminder that one of the things we can't change is the pace of change itself.

My grateful thanks go to the fellow bloggers who have highlighted this latest technological misdemeanour which has made commenting on posts such a misery. Please accept my apologies, dear commentators, and rest assured that I have now turned it "Off".

Bizarrely, for an old scrote like me, I had been getting along quite well with the new dashboard format, unaware that the word verification tool was permanently switched on. Until fairly recently, it wasn't a chore typing in a few words after commenting, to prove that I was a quirky, analogue, fallible, living and breathing person. But a chore it has become.

There is always the faint possibility, I suppose, that resistance WAS futile after all, and we have been assimilated into some poorly-designed prototype of the Borg Collective and therefore find it difficult to separate out the human and cybernetic sides of our being. But at the risk of mixing my  fictional series metaphors, I am not a number.

So it's back to the gaslight and linoleum days of the old dashboard which is a small price to pay to show solidarity with followers and commentators alike. And it's important to cock a snook at assumed authority now and again.

3 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Nice one. :-)

Imperfect and Tense said...

I hadn't realised how bad it was, Keith, so thanks for pointing it out.

Spadger said...

Graeme - I think you will have to explain this one to me as its going over my head! I realise enough its something to do with technological vagaries between the old and new blog dashboards, but I've only ever really used the new one so guess I don't know what I'm missing.