Wednesday 21 June 2017

Coincidence and serendipity

Coincidence and serendipity in equal measure, that's how I'm calling it.

When I switched on my computer this morning, I had an email from a cousin in London, asking about the identity of a moth she had rescued from a cobweb. It was a Hummingbird Hawkmoth, a fantastic insect to see, let alone experience up close and personal. I was very envious.

Photo credit: Cousin J
In the late afternoon, Our Lass returned from work and was keen for a walk around the usual circuit, so off we went, catching up on the day's events and soaking up some sun. Returning home, as we reached the garden wall, we could see something fluttering around the front of the house, flying up towards the soffits, and then moving along the wall. It didn't appear to have the colours of any of the butterflies currently on the wing, but there was too much daylight for a big moth to be out and about.

Beseeching Our Lass to keep her eyes on it, I hurried around into the garden and to the front of Tense Towers, where I was guided to the spot where it had last been seen... "Just above the light."


Yep, this is the opposite view to the one I normally post.


And above the light, tucked up at the top of the wall and under the soffit was a dark shape.


Now I could see that it was a moth...


A Hummingbird Hawkmoth!

And the really serendipitous part? If we had not gone for a walk and had, instead, been sat at home, possibly even looking out of the window... we probably wouldn't have seen it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word'serendipity' has a very interesting etymology. Regards, Mark.

Imperfect and Tense said...

It does? It does! How cool is that?!

Spadger said...

brilliant!

Anonymous said...

good morning mr t. Just been to Switzerland and saw a very strange looking moth, I knew I had seen it before somewhere but couldn't quite place it let alone identify it but then I recalled this post on I&T and identified it as a Hummingbird Hawkmoth! Also saw my first Swallowtail. Toodles, Mark.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Glad to have been of service. Swallowtails are very spectacular, eh? We spent several years visiting Norfolk at just the right time to see them, but with no success. Then went to a wedding in Rhodes and stumbled across them by accident.