Monday 2 December 2013

A weekend of packing and an odd last day at work

For the last weekend of habitation in Tense Towers and MK, it was all hands to the pumps boxes, as First and Second Born helped their dear old dad to shoehorn too much life into too small a space.

The girls were terrific, little whirlwinds of energy, scattering cardboard, bubble wrap, tissue paper and packing tape to all points of the compass, as the kitchen and lounge disappeared into their temporary cubes of accommodation.


All cartons were labelled with an initial letter for the room, followed by a number for the cumulative total of boxes for that room. So when we arrived at Box 9 for the kitchen...

Well, it had to be done.


Today (Monday) was my last day at work in England. 

I arrived at the office to find my desk emblazoned with Good Luck banners and balloons, plus a seriously chocolatey chocolate cake. Many Thanks to Gem and Sam! The pentangles were a nice touch, I thought. 


A morning spent tying up loose ends and handing over tasks morphed into a meeting for the whole firm in the boardroom. After 14 years with the same company, there's always going to be plenty of ammunition for the farewell slideshow, with the added bonus of knowing that I had provided most of it anyway, during various daft stunts and morale-boosting schemes..

I wasn't disappointed!

Much research had uncovered several photos taken during a Red Nose Day with my previous employer, pre-2000. We take our ritual humiliation seriously, y'know! So my colleagues were treated to the sight of me wearing Our Lass's midwifery dress, red stockings and suspenders, plus army boots. Classy.

 Actually, quite classy compared to the next slide, which showed me in 2006, stripped down to only a climbing harness in a fetching yellow and blue, plus the obligatory boots, with a carefully-positioned mountaineering helmet to protect what little was left of my dignity.

One day, perhaps, these will see the light of day on Imperfect and Tense. For a large contribution to a charity of my choice!

My next blogpost is likely to be from Orkney, should I survive the snowstorm forecast for the day of my arrival.

Er... I'm going out now, I may be some time.

10 comments:

Jeannette said...

Having just moved on Oct 5 I should perhaps have some words of wisdom for you...you know, like don't lift too many heavy things before you are warmed up...or be patient with yourself ( and others) while the inner man transitions at variable speeds. best to you!

biobabbler said...

Wow--I'm glad to see your progeny are not afraid of the oft under appreciated utility of clambering atop counters. Just looked up Orkney, 'cause what do I know. Upon viewing the map said, and I quote, Holy CRAP! That's really far north, there. But sounds like theres some SUPER cool (Neolithic) stuff going on. Wonder what kind of cetaceans you'll see. And birds. And tiny, tougher-that-I'll-ever-be plants.

Anywho, looks like your sendoff was full of fondness, so GOOD WORK! =) Happy travels, and we'll be v. happy to hear from/read you upon your collective arrival and ensconcing. =)

biobabbler said...

Jeeze, totally forgot to express my DELIGHT that you "went there" re: K9. Now, all is right w/my whirled.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Thank you, Jeannette, wise words all.

That's a keen insight you have there!

Imperfect and Tense said...

Cheers, bb, there shouldn't be any shortage of material for me to sink my keyboard into.

"ensconcing" - I like that word :o)

Imperfect and Tense said...

'S weird, I've never been a Dr Who fan, but the girls certainly are.
I'm more of a Star Trek person, but writing '7 of 9' on every box would not have been so helpful when we come to unpack ;o)

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Yes, indeed, good luck! We'll hear from you on the other end...

Tales of a Bank Vole said...

I do hope that the new blog will reflect your new life: "Past Tense and Future Perfect" has a nice ring to it.

Imperfect and Tense said...

There's probably not enough odes to make it perfect, but it's a thought.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Not sure if I'll be maintaining radio silence. If I can find a wifi hotspot, there may be updates.