Tuesday 25 June 2013

Orkney, June 2013, Part 4

Orkney is wonderfully photogenic. The Wheeling Steen Gallery, on Westray, is a good place to explore the art of the possible and soak up the scenic beauty of that isle.

Having feasted my eyes on the large canvas prints adorning the walls (and perhaps partaken of a slice of cake and a coffee!), it's back down to earth with a bump when reviewing my own bumbling images.

The best gadget in my photography toolbox is Luck, followed closely by Being in the right place at the right time.

These two valuable "skills" complement my other attributes of Hopeless camera shake and General cluelessness as to what constitutes a good photo. Whilst Our Lass is always on hand to offer advice, sometimes the action is a bit quick and there's no time to make use of her sage counsel.

So here's a few of my "nearly" shots...


Arctic Tern on our first Westray evening
Fulmar on North Ronaldsay (taken when laid on the golf course with the bird zooming 3 feet over our heads)
But pleasingly, my "skills" did click together occasionally during our holiday.

Our Lass modelling her "Thrift and Rock" camouflage on Noup Head.

Marsh Marigold by the Burn O' Cheor, near Letto Sands


A dull day improved greatly by an Arctic Tern on Ness of Tuquoy


The diminutive Scottish Primrose on maritime heath, Aikerness


 A similarly height-challenged Dwarf Willow on maritime heath, Aikerness


Seaweed-eating sheep on North Ronaldsay
Common Tern fishing in the Loch of Stenness

2 comments:

Tales of a Bank Vole said...

Does the - dare I suggest - scantily clad "writers wives" feature suggest that the temperatures on Ork were not always 3 degrees above freezing?

Imperfect and Tense said...

Too risqué, do you think? I can honestly say that I don't believe I've ever used so much pink in an arty shot.

It was a gorgeous day, though the island was shrouded in fog 2 hours earlier.