Sunday 7 October 2012

Moth trapping - the other method

Following an industrious morning felling timber and gentler tasks at our local nature reserve, Our Lass and I ventured along the Swan's Way, which runs alongside the western and northern perimeter of the site.

The pleasant afternoon sun was able to take the edge off the morning's Autumnal temperatures, at least enough to allow us to observe several dragonflies in flight, Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers.

As we neared the weir by the old mill on the River Great Ouse, we noticed an odd-looking butterfly fluttering about. I say 'odd' because, whilst at first glance I took it to be a Red Admiral, there was something not quite right about that ID. This was for the very good reason that, although there was much black, white and red colours to be seen, it was a moth, which became rather apparent when it landed on my leg. Unfortunately, very little of the splendid colouration shown in flight could be seen once it was at rest.


Red Underwing, Catocala nupta
However, with very nearly a 3 inch wingspan, this is a moth you're going to notice whatever colour it is.

Whether it was seeking to camouflage itself against my grey trousers is debatable. But I do know, with certainty, that I wasn't wearing red silk underwear. Not on a Sunday.

6 comments:

Tales of a Bank Vole said...

Oh you youngsters - where do you get the energy. I could barely manage to watch the footy on the box after the morning's exertions.If you havn't seen my Flickr recently you can see another R U Moth(trying to get into my bedroom) there. Friendly little ctitters aren't they.

Imperfect and Tense said...

What a coincidence. Perhaps they're visiting all FoHESC members, one at a time?

lyrical lady said...

I waved at you both from the Far Hide...you must have been too busy attracting moths to notice!
Isn't tree-felling fun?


Imperfect and Tense said...

Oops! Sorry!

Tree-felling fun? You know H+S comes first :op

holdingmoments said...

So, what day do you usually wear them?

Imperfect and Tense said...

Every fifth Tuesday of February, in odd-numbered years.