Thursday 9 June 2011

During a break in proceedings...

It's been a hectic week so far at Tense Towers. Our Lass was given a few days' notice to go into hospital for an operation, and though she's back home now, she cannot currently use one leg for weight bearing.

It's at times like these that you realise just how much we rely on our mobility. Last night, I tried going upstairs using only one leg, just to see how difficult it is, and I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience.

Second Born and I are taking it in turns to be Chief Nursing Auxiliary/Domestic Deity and today was my first shift. By mid afternoon I was in need of a bit of a pick-me-up myself, so as patient and household chores were not clamouring for my attention, I snuck out into the garden to see what was about.

Several species of damselfly were competing for sunny spots by the pond: Large Red, Azure, Common Blue and Blue-tailed. One particular Large Red, Pyrrhosoma nymphula, presented a good photo opportunity whilst perched on the flowers of Lady's Mantle, Alchemilla mollis.


Meanwhile, on the floating leaves of a water lily, was a species of fly that I have not yet been able to identify. There appeared to be male and female specimens, as one individual was different from the others. It had a white patch at the tips of its wings, which it would flash at the other flies, either as a warning or as a courtship display. Any ideas, faithful reader?


I've no more time to peruse the ID guides, as kitchen duties await. With a swish of a pinafore, no longer Cameron Binns, but Saladin Flanagan.

Post Script: JD texted me several hours later to say "Poecilobothrus nobilitatus". Thanks, JD!

No comments: